Thursday, April 25, 2013

Shading with silk thread

I designed a second embroidery piece again depicting a joyous, splash of water. Although the direction was both down and at the same time, uplifting - in worship. This was based on a stained glass collection by French artist Henri Guérin. I was inspired by the beauty of his work, and by his artist statement:
Unintentionally, this seed of a drawing has taught me to give thanks for the treasures of the world, human and object, over which their creator dispenses a profusion of light; He whom I believe to be the creator of Heaven and Earth.
Using the freedom with which He has entrusted me, I have gleaned a few trees, bushes, flowers and other derivations of His mystery, all of them fragments of His sublime creation, to show you, in my own way. If you find the silence in these images before you more eloquent than words, perhaps you will find this declaration of faith superfluous. Secretly, that is what I hope...  
One of the works from Guérin's collection of the vowels in the alphabet.
My spirits soared after reading that, sitting there surrounded by his glass creations. I aspire, as he has done, to worship the God I believe in through my art, and to inspire others to awe as well. This is a particularly difficult thing to achieve, and I am at the beginning of the journey, but it is what I would love to be able to do through fashion design.

Fortunately, after discussing with Ashok the design I had taken from one of Guérin's stained glass works, and that I wanted this piece to all be fine  thread work, he assigned my piece to a particularly talented artisan, Raju. The stitch he used is called Fasabla, which is a stitch in the middle of two others - or mixing stitches. Ashok suggested that shading be used, and to great effect. I love this piece.

Raju finishing off my thread work piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment