Friday, April 19, 2013

Studio time

My concept is a depiction of the Holy Spirit, specifically the characteristics of peace and joy. Following advice from the Fashion lecturers, I have simplified my imagery to water, using two elements of water - the splash and the ripples it forms, moving to stillness as metaphor of joy and peace respectively.

Ashok has shown as samples of his work, giving us a taste of the stitches and how beading and sequins can be used.  The studio is full of materials which Ashok has generously made available for use in our projects. Robyn also gifted me some beautiful clear crystals, which are perfect for slash droplets.
Ashok showing his "daughters" embroidery samples.
Example of water using stitch and sequins
Example of water using silk and metal thread
Artisan Chhailvihavil working on my water splash, which utilises beads, sequins, crystals and silk thread.
Sitting with my Artisan, I was able to show how I'd like the beads to be mixed, gradating from one colour to the other in a painterly way. This was the biggest challenge I found, as the artisans were so disciplined and expert at their craft that everything was neat. They were used to neat rows of colour and  lines of stitching - they must have been perplexed at mine and others' insistence on "messy, messy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment